Thursday, July 5, 2012

Water World


This year’s spring snake sighting was in a stream at the lovely Chanticleer Gardens.  
I thought I was looking at a water plant, roots anchored on the bottom, single strand floating in the current.  But then it disappeared and resurfaced in a nearby spot with its tiny head, the size of my pinky nail, above the water’s surface, swaying to and fro and waiting for bugs, one assumes.  I had to bend down and stoop next to the edge to try to get a picture, but the sun was bright and it was hard to even find the little bugger in my frame. 

They say there is a niche for every living thing in an ecosystem.  Well this guy (or gal) had the perfect spot to wait for lunch to happen by; a cool rushing stream with little minnows, bright green water plants, damsel flies and water striders all around.  It went  almost undetected, save one lingering listener of burbling water on a spring day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment